Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Panoramic pictures from 18 shots of Fx520

I was able to reduce the number of shots in order to form a 360x180 degree panorama to 18, by using the 26mm equivalent focal length of the Fx520. I don't need a tripod, philipod or manual exposure. It is better to use automatic exposure.

8 pictures held vertically at zero degree pitch, i.e. horizontally. 4 pictures help horizontally, tilted up and 4, tilted downwards. One picture pointed up and another pointed down.

8 and 4 around you is easy to determine. Any other number is much more difficult. With Fx520, The overlap is only about 12%(67degree/4*3*8/360) but I was able to stich the panoramic picture using panotools in Hugin. The are areas that are not covered but this is a small price to pay for the convenience. Taking more pictures does not guarantee complete coverage because I tend to make mistakes since I don't use a proper tool.

I was able to take form a panormic picture of my living room which is only about 20 feet long. There is parallax error, but it is manageable. It should be severe for such a small space but the resulting picture is acceptable to me. I tried to stich using enfuse and smartblend. Because there is little cropping, the ghosting effect is sever in enfuse generated panorama, but its exposure is more consistent. Smartblend is very fast and has no ghosting but with more prominent exposure inconsistencies, because I use flash and automatic exposure for all the shots.

Initially smartblend failed to stich but when I switched off the "cropping", the panorama stiched properly.

No comments: